HUGE craving for sushi the other week! I was dying for sushi rolls because I now get weird cravings for healthy food…But only sometimes. Maybe I’ve finally semi-trained my brain to choose the good foods in life. We’ll see. Right, since I’m still semi-attempting this healthy lifestyle and I was in homemaker mode, I decided to try my hand at making sushi rolls with quinoa instead of sushi rice. I didn’t have a bamboo sushi roller so I picked one up for $2.80 at Daiso! Seriously, go to Daiso for everything. /plug
So, let’s get started with this sushi!
Start by measuring up one cup of quinoa. Thanks to The Mister for doing the cooking in this one. I never cooked quinoa before. It’s all been him. Shhh….
Usually you’d put one cup quinoa to three cups water, so says The Mister, but we added a little more this time because we wanted the quinoa to be softer. Go on an add an extra half cup of water.
Choose your fillings. Carrot, cucumber and avocado are a good get. We had some left over honey chicken as well, so I shredded those too. If you have some canned tuna around or even just any left overs, go ahead and add them in!
Cut up into slices. We had waaaayyy too much carrots, because The Mister thought we’d need two whole carrots. I don’t like carrots, but since they’re part of the healthy and acceptable to eat part of my diet..well, I just suck it up.
Lay out your seaweed sheets on your bamboo wrapper. I set it all up nicely for this pic. Ignore the messy bits around the side.
Speaking of messy, it got SUPER messy after this point. That bowl of water on the side is for the rice scoop, you wet it so the quinoa doesn’t stick to the scoop. Well, that was the idea anyway but since my scoop is ribbed it didn’t work out too well. You want to spread the quinoa all the way to the sides of the seaweed, but I needed to take this photo first because after this point I just used my hands. Much easier. I couldn’t take any more photos because….yeah…messy!!! I had quinoa all over my hands. I added flax seeds instead of sesame seeds
THIS IS WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!! They were awesome! I’m going to make more tomorrow!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3.5 cup water
- 3 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 pack yakinori (roasted seaweed)
- flax seeds and/or chia seeds (optional)
- Add quinoa and water into a rice cooker. If you don't have a rice cooker, it's easy enough to do it over a stove.
- When quinoa is ready and still warm out of the rice cooker, mix in your apple cider vinegar.
- Wait until cool.
- In the mean time, cut up carrots, cucumber, avocado, and any other ingredients you want in your rolls into strips/sticks.
- Lay one sheet seaweed over your bamboo sushi roller.
- Wet fingers, grab some quinoa and spread onto seaweed. Get all the way to the sides.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of flax seeds over the quinoa.
- Place veggie sticks along the side closest to you leaving about a centimeter margin.
- Grab the bamboo and start rolling! Squeeze them tightly.
- Cut up into pieces and serve.